Pages

Swades Dairy: Life in a Hotel

Over the last 2 months, I have checked in and out of 6-7 hotels in upcountry Bengal. Im very fussy about the hotel room. It must be huge, with bright lights, a decent bathroom, atleast a decent TV with 100+channels and above all, no lizards please!

And so far...Ive seen them all...

Hotel Royal, Berhampore:

Only the name is Royal... :(

The waiters barge in....there is no concept of knocking at the door. They come straight inside, as if they were the real owners....will order on behalf of the guest.

Waiter: Saab, chicken kasa aur roti laaun?
Atlee: nahi...
Waiter: par sir, kal to aapne wahi liya tha!
Atlee: NAHI...

Purbasha Lodge Krishnanagar:

It was a replica of "Hotel Decent" of Jab We Met...I wish i had a Kareena with me though...

I entered the room...dingy and dimly lit.I was apprehensive...I have an eye for lizards, can sense them around easily. I decided to do the customary lizard check.
1...2...3...4!! 4 of them...including two in the bathroom!!!

I forced myself into constipation the next day...and spent half my working day searching for a another hotel.

But the icing on the cake was this hotel in Durgapur...

The room is always dark...there are around 10 bulbs, all 20 watts...
Switch all the lights, and u still cant read a book! This hotel has a history to it as well...
Apparently, a murder took place two years back in the lobby, next to my room...
I decided to lock all the scary movies on TV, to avoid any confrontation with "The Others".
Another secret is ferreted out by a colleague...Yahan par prostitution bhi hota tha...
Phew!!!

Talking about the TV...its my source of timepass these days. But when one does not know the TV channels by rote,its quite a pain scanning the TV to get to the desired channel.

ESPN is lying low at 63. NineXMusic is relegated to 243! While the top 10 slots are occupied by Bangla channels. I guess I will have to maintain an excel sheet to note my favorite channels in each hotel, in order to save time.

Talking of NineXM...Its my stress buster...The songs of Bheegi Billi, the Bade Chote PJs and the shayaris of the betel nuts, might be the worst thing you will ever see on the idiot box...but its slapstick and humorous.

Ohh...Its Bheegi Billi on TV now...time to sign off....

10 comments:

Vishal said...

For me, its 9XM & Music India. Through these at least, i can keep a tab on upcoming movies.. Nice post man.. Hotels Hotels evrywhere...:(

Anonymous said...

lol...yup been there done that..although I dont have lizardo-phobia..;p Readers, I can also vouch for the Durgapur hotel..only bulbs..and u forgot to mention the deadly aline like bee hive outside the varandah :P

PS: changed the blog theme..hope it helps ;)

chimera said...

I 100%, completely, totally empathize....i called the room service to chase off the lizard...and they managed to get the lizard on my bed and then lost it...!!!!

i have to spend another 2 weeks here!!

i guess i will keep a small pillow fr the lizard nw!!

and yeah!! the waiters try the knob before ringing the bell!!!

kahan phas gayein yaar!!! the great indian hotel yatra:)

althou..glad 2 hav company :))

chimera said...

I 100%, completely, totally empathize....i called the room service to chase off the lizard...and they managed to get the lizard on my bed and then lost it...!!!!

i have to spend another 2 weeks here!!

i guess i will keep a small pillow fr the lizard nw!!

and yeah!! the waiters try the knob before ringing the bell!!!

kahan phas gayein yaar!!! the great indian hotel yatra:)

althou..glad 2 hav company :))

Akshat said...

I love Bhigi billi.. and thank god..

Hotel Tirumala Classic - Hubli
Hotel Aditya - Gulbarga
Hotel Sukh Sagar - Belgaum
Hotel Adarsh Palace - Belgaum
Hotel La Grande - Goa, Panjim

5 Hotels - only 4 lizards, 4 1/2 cockroches..
At least Tip works..and there is cold water ...

Good luck with prostitution in your hotel..

Hemanth said...

Nice change of Colors.

And ya Hotels :) I can understand your problems :)

Batty said...

I just got reminded of the lizard war that you and Manas launched at 2 in the morning. I woke up, came out and when I realized who the enemy was I got damn pissed. But yeah, there are far more worse things in a hotel stay - TV a good stress reliever.

AJ said...

finally u get to see the real india.. the rural india.. its just the beginning i guess for u.. [;)].
ITC loves the new joinees n the best place for them is Rural India..

Good to see that u still able to blog.. my days are really going bad.. though in a mettro.. [:P]

Ritu said...

Bheegi Billi...I just love that cat!! Its' my saviour amongst all SUN, SURYA, GEMINI channels here!

Anonymous said...

Freaking prima donna. What next? Complaining about the color of your blanket?

Keep it real.

 
 
 

Top Tracks

Recent Tracks